Re: tapes best for backup?

s. keeling wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net>:
 s. keeling wrote:
I've never run across a CD I couldn't still read, and I've a few
old ones.  DVD, I would expect to be even better.  For me, tape's
Why would you expect DVD to be better? I'd expect it to be worse, for the obvious reasons -- smaller physical bit representations, packed

Because it's newer technology which ought to have incorporated lessons
learned from the CD history.  Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Ah; well, perhaps it is, but it's not *crazy* I don't think, either. I feel like it's not really "new" tech, since it's so very similar to CD-R. To me it feels like old tech pushed very hard to achieve the much higher densities. The disk layering and the dyes are to the best of my knowledge *very* similar.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info