Re: tapes best for backup?

s. keeling wrote:
I've never
run across a CD I couldn't still read, and I've a few old ones.  DVD, I
would expect to be even better.  For me, tape's good enough.

Why would you expect DVD to be better? I'd expect it to be worse, for the obvious reasons -- smaller physical bit representations, packed tighter. Also we don't have as much experience with it, so I take what information we *do* have with larger quantities of salt.

(Mind you, I'm using DVDs for my photo archives; CDs are simply too small to contemplate. Two copies, stored separately, and all the files stay on the disk (which is mirrored) and get backed up to external disks regularly. I can pretty easily afford for any *one* of the backups to fail.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info