Re: tapes best for backup?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

>  On 01/04/08 10:23, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >
> > Right.  What about things of great sentimental value?  E.g. family
> > photos?  What about financial records?  Sure 7 GB is chickenfeed.  It
>
>  So I wasn't trying to denigrate your 7GB of important data, but to
>  express that, in today's world, tape would be a radically cost-
>  inefficient means of storing only 7GB.

... If starting from scratch, aka., "Where to go now from here?", as
in buying new hardware.

On the other hand, if you're sitting with a new/hand-me-down Sun U30
which came with a Sun DDS3 tape drive, 12 blank tapes, and head
cleaner tape, I think any comparable choice of backup medium would be
horrifically expensive in comparison to using what you've got.  Sure,
only 12 Gb/tape, and it's no screamer but if that's all you want, it
works.

Floppies often became unreadable (when I still used them).  I've never
run across a CD I couldn't still read, and I've a few old ones.  DVD, I
would expect to be even better.  For me, tape's good enough.