Anyone have success with bootsplash package?

I have tried installing this package on two of my three machines and had no success with it. I have verified that I have frame buffer support compiled into the kernal and I have also even installed the patch that is listed in apt-get, but nothing seems to work. At one point I was able to get text size change during the boot up, but then machine locked up during the boot process.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips if they got it working on their machines.

Eric