Trying to understand how checksums and signatures work

I found out the MD5SUMs are in the package itself but where are the signatures? I suppose they're in the file that is updated when you do an update. But where is this file?

Why are every file in the package md5summed ? Wouldn't a sum on the whole package be enough?

I had a bad experience while trying to install guarddog on Knoppix (installed)this weekend. Synaptic apparently did a full update before installing guarddog, even chinese keyboards! That took a long time! It was getting late and the fine print was really, really small. At one point it asked if I wanted to restart the computer or continue. I was in no mood to restart and thought "What the heck, I'll see to this later!"

When I rebooted I had the message "Starting system log daemon: syslogd" and the system hanged there. I rebooted with a Kubuntu Live-CD and tried to find an answer to this problem on the net, but in vain. So, I rebooted and removed savedefault on the boot prompt. The boot hanged very soon. I put back savedefault, and it finally worked. Lots of headaches!

Is there a Linux distro that won't let you continue when you *have* to reboot? You know, more foolproof.

Thanks!