Re: Trying to understand how checksums and signatures work

Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> I found out the MD5SUMs are in the package itself but where are the
> signatures? I suppose they're in the file that is updated when you do an
> update. But where is this file?
>
> Why are every file in the package md5summed ? Wouldn't a sum on the
> whole package be enough?
>
> I had a bad experience while trying to install guarddog on Knoppix
> (installed)this weekend. Synaptic apparently did a full update before
> installing guarddog, even chinese keyboards! That took a long time! It
> was getting late and the fine print was really, really small. At one
> point it asked if I wanted to restart the computer or continue. I was in
> no mood to restart and thought "What the heck, I'll see to this later!"
>
> When I rebooted I had the message "Starting system log daemon: syslogd"
> and the system hanged there. I rebooted with a Kubuntu Live-CD and tried
> to find an answer to this problem on the net, but in vain. So, I
> rebooted and removed savedefault on the boot prompt. The boot hanged
> very soon. I put back  savedefault, and it finally worked. Lots of
> headaches!
>
> Is there a Linux distro that won't let you continue when you *have* to
> reboot? You know, more foolproof.

Well, in my experience with Debian I've only needed to reboot when I
upgraded the kernel or upgraded my hardware.

Regards,
Jose Luis.
--

ghostbar on debian linux 'sid' 2.6.22 x86_64-SMP - #382503
Weblog: http://ghostbar.ath.cx/ - http://linuxtachira.org