wodim scsi paradox

This isn't a problem yet but should be documented somewhere for support purposes. When I do wodim -scanbus on this system, my internal cd burner is found as well as an external DVD burner. That's good since both are connected. What's not detected though are 2 external scsi drives a 2GB jazz drive and a 100MB zip drive. When that first happened I decided to punt though and tried using mount on the devices and accessed the 2GB jazz drive at /dev/sda4 and the 100MB zip drive at /dev/sdb4. Both of those drives do work though even when mounted a wodim -scanbus command still fails to detect them. What I don't know is whether or not to leave this situation as is or maybe write a couple entries in /etc/fstab.