Re: Trying to understand how checksums and signatures work

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 06:29:20AM +0100, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> I had a bad experience while trying to install guarddog on Knoppix
> (installed)this weekend. Synaptic apparently did a full update before
> installing guarddog, [...]
>
> Is there a Linux distro that won't let you continue when you *have* to
> reboot? You know, more foolproof.

It sounds to me like the problem here is Knoppix itself. Knoppix isn't
meant to be anything more than a live distribution of Debian, therefore
you can't expect everything to work flawlessly.

A proper install of Debian isn't entirely out of the question here,
especially considering how user friendly it's become since the Etch
installer even those without infinite amounts of computer know-how can
install it.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they