Re: Gnus and emacs22

Peter Smerdon <psmerdon@magma.ca> writes:

> Hi, Gnus AFAIK, is included in emacs22 and emacs-snapshot. I think it
> might be the deveopment version called No Gnus, nevertheless, you can
> use this built in Gnus instead of the stand alone package.

Ah, that explains it.  It causes me to wonder just how much is now
coming preinstalled, and doesn't need to be added on?  I may be adding a
bunch of stuff twice, which may I suppose cause some confusion down the
pike.

> As for w3m, I installed a package w3m-el-snapshot and this works fine
> with emacs-snapshot. I hope this helps in some way.

I couldn't find anything with snapshot in it for testing, so maybe that
is a sid thing?  Or maybe it is from another repository I haven't
accessed.  The packages I used were emacs (which installed emacs22) and
w3m-el.  And w3m actually works just fine, and for instance I can run
M-x w3m and surf just as expected.

What was odd is that if I set up browse-url-generic with w3m-browse-url
(which also works from M-x...) I get a complaint that there is no such
file or program as w3m-browse-url.  But, it runs from emacs just fine,
so I know there is such a file or program, and apparently so does emacs.
It's just wierd.  It's not a big deal really, as there are many work
arounds, but I just couldn't help thinking I have something messed up.

> PS: thank you Tatsuya Kinoshita and Romain Francoise for providing these
> packages! Now all I need is antialised fonts :-)

Seconded, to all involved.

Patrick