Re: Gnus and emacs22

On 2007-12-10 20:40 +0100, cothrige wrote:

> Peter Smerdon <psmerdon@magma.ca> writes:
>
>> Hi, Gnus AFAIK, is included in emacs22 and emacs-snapshot. I think it
>> might be the deveopment version called No Gnus, nevertheless, you can
>> use this built in Gnus instead of the stand alone package.
>
> Ah, that explains it.  It causes me to wonder just how much is now
> coming preinstalled, and doesn't need to be added on?  I may be adding a
> bunch of stuff twice, which may I suppose cause some confusion down the
> pike.

Possibly.  Please read the Emacs NEWS file, section "New Modes and
Packages in Emacs 22.1" to see which packages have been integrated.
Also see GNUS-NEWS in the same directory as NEWS.

>> As for w3m, I installed a package w3m-el-snapshot and this works fine
>> with emacs-snapshot. I hope this helps in some way.
>
> I couldn't find anything with snapshot in it for testing, so maybe that
> is a sid thing?

w3m-el-snapshot is a new package, but it has just arrived in testing:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/w3m-el-snapshot

Maybe your mirror is not quite up to date.

>  Or maybe it is from another repository I haven't
> accessed.  The packages I used were emacs (which installed emacs22) and
> w3m-el.  And w3m actually works just fine, and for instance I can run
> M-x w3m and surf just as expected.
>
> What was odd is that if I set up browse-url-generic with w3m-browse-url
> (which also works from M-x...) I get a complaint that there is no such
> file or program as w3m-browse-url.  But, it runs from emacs just fine,
> so I know there is such a file or program, and apparently so does emacs.
> It's just wierd.  It's not a big deal really, as there are many work
> arounds, but I just couldn't help thinking I have something messed up.

What is the value of browse-url-browser-function?  For me, just putting
the following two lines into my .emacs sets up w3m properly and does TRT
when clicking on links in Gnus:

(if (fboundp 'w3m-browse-url)
    (setq browse-url-browser-function 'w3m-browse-url))

Cheers,
       Sven