Re: How Linux becomes Windows

Dirk <noisyb@gmail.com> writes:

> I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.

I agree about HAL, and the thing really just makes me nervous.  I was
apparently right too, because when I turned it off via update-rc.d, my
box started singing about somebody named Daisy.

The one I really don't understand though is avahi.  I kept seeing this
in my ps output and really had no idea at all what it was.  I tried to
find out, but couldn't.  Did the CIA write this thing?  Finally I turned
it off too, and nothing exploded so far.  But, just what is all this
stuff anyway?  Personally, I thought avahi was some sort of fruity
shampoo my wife uses.

Patrick