Gnus and emacs22

I recently upgraded to testing and in the process made the move from
emacs21 to emacs22.  I purged the old packages, having had some strange
things happen in switching emacsen in the past, and reinstalled those I
used after switching to version 22.  I didn't install gnus though..  I
have generally used a newer version than is in the packages and put it
in my .elisp folder.  But, in this instance I had moved that folder in
order to start things up fresh and add things back as needed, and never
put gnus in my path.  Oversight and all.  However, I didn't realize this
at first, and had used gnus for a week or two before I noticed that it
shouldn't have been working at all.

The mode line reports it as 5.11, which is the same that I had before,
and it seems overall to be okay.  It looks fine anyway, and I have not
seen any complaints about my .gnus.el file.  However, I cannot get
w3m-browse-url to work with gnus, even though w3m-el is installed, and
w3m works in emacs in general.  I can type M-x w3m-browse-url and
everything is fine.  But, if I set that for the appropriate functions
for gnus and the like (browse-url-function?) and then try to follow an
url in an email, I get a complaint about no such file or program.  I
have been entirely unable to figure it out.

This has brought me to trying to find out where gnus is loading from in
the first place.  I browsed through packages.debian.org for emacs22 and
such, checking the files in them, but with so many apparent emacs
packages being drawn in for emacs22 I couldn't really figure out for
sure if an install of gnus is already in one of them.  Does emacs22
install gnus by default, without another package?  And if so, why would
it ignore w3m-browse-url?  I have moved my gnus download into my path in
hopes of using it, but I cannot be sure which gnus is even being
loaded.  I cannot even tell if there is another gnus in the system in
the first place, though something sure was loading..

I would appreciate any suggestions about what may be happening and how I
may be able to get w3m incorporated better.

Patrick