Re: scroll mouse quits working

* Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com> [2007 Dec 02 13:18 -0600]:
> On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Kent West wrote:
>
>> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>>> Every once in a while, when I use my KVM switch, the middle mouse
>>> button/scroll wheel, ceases to function.
>>>
>>> Short of rebooting, not really an option, what else can I do to get the
>>> scroll wheel to function properly again?
>>>
>>> Anything in /etc/init.d/ that I can rerun?
>>

>> PS/2 or USB?
>>
>> If USB, you can try unplugging/replugging the mouse.
>>
>> Are you running GPM; if so, you can try "/etc/init.d/gpm restart".
>>
>> You might try unloading/reloading any mouse/USB-related modules.
>>
>> Do you actually have to reboot, or will a restart of X fix it? Or have you
>> tried starting a second session of X to see if it works there? Or in the
>> console (assuming you have GPM installed)?

Mine had been getting intermintent for a while.  Last night it pretty
much quit and I wound up pulling about three years of accumulated lint
out of it.  It's a Logitech and the wheel lifted out easily so I could
clean out the space between the wheel and sensors.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"