Re: norton commander

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 08:39:54AM +0000, steef wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
 >
> >AFAIK, Norton Commander was the inspiration for mc.  Note that I haven't
> >seen a function for talking to another person.  However, this is Unix.
> >How did your computer connect with the other?  If via a modem or serial
> >line, then you want minicom in Debian.  You can sit an chat with someone
> >and send and receive files all from within minicom.
>
> .......there were some tricks for talking to a person from screen to
> screen with two keyboards. this trait worked with the keys: Fx,y,z, AFAIR.
>
> my IBM hd was loaded dos, wp5.1, a z-modem and a fax-sending program,
> allmost identical to the somewhat later fax-sending programs form
> computer-associates.
>
> sending files (a great progress in that time: instead of roaming around
> in your car in the middle of the night to a journal/paper) worked with
> the keys too. It started with F9 under the nc, and proceeded with a
> combination of F3,F4 if i remember well after all these years.
>
> this all worked excellent.

I used to do the same thing back in the 80's with whatever the terminal
program that came with my 9600 baud modem was.  One of us would ATDT the
number, the other would ATA and we'd chat.  Sending files was as simple
as one of us starting a Zmodem transfer and the other having set up
auto-Zmodem to receive it.  That was in the dos-box of OS/2 on my end,
don't know what the other end was running.

Doug.