Re: norton commander

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 07:27:17PM +0000, steef wrote:
a long time ago, in 1993, i had a 386 box with dos, wp51 and the norton commander. with the norton commander i could talk to a person behind the key-board of another computer and send my workfiles (made with wp5.1, that marvellous editing program). the 386 is dismantled. the hd of 150 mb is still completely loaded in my possession.

i suppose the midnight commander was directly derived from the norton commander. or not ?? if yes: where can i find more info on this development?. just out of curiosity.

AFAIK, Norton Commander was the inspiration for mc.  Note that I haven't
seen a function for talking to another person.  However, this is Unix.
How did your computer connect with the other?  If via a modem or serial
line, then you want minicom in Debian.  You can sit an chat with someone
and send and receive files all from within minicom.
Doug.

.......there were some tricks for talking to a person from screen to screen with two keyboards. this trait worked with the keys: Fx,y,z, AFAIR.

my IBM hd was loaded dos, wp5.1, a z-modem and a fax-sending program, allmost identical to the somewhat later fax-sending programs form computer-associates.

sending files (a great progress in that time: instead of roaming around in your car in the middle of the night to a journal/paper) worked with the keys too. It started with F9 under the nc, and proceeded with a combination of F3,F4 if i remember well after all these years.

this all worked excellent.

steef

--
drs. steef van duin