Re: [OT?] Replying to posts in debian-user

On Nov 18, 2007 9:12 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 03:34:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> > There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
> > for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail.  Mutt and Gnus
> > are even better, but they are difficult to set up.
>
> I'm wondering what is difficult about setting up mutt.
>
> In /etc/Muttrc, the only change I made, other than to ignore some
> headers, was
>
> set record=""
>
> so that I don't have a default sent folder.
>
> and in ~/.muttrc, other than aliases for family, friends, and mailing
> lists, I just have the subscribe lists for mailing lists, eg:
>
> alias debian-user       debian-user@lists.debian.org
> subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org
>

> Thats it.  I send mail and it goes to exim4 that sends it to my ISP as a
> smarthost, and away it goes from there.
>
> Sure, you can get fancy and have mutt or other things sort and slice,
> dice, and cook the mail.  I've never had the need.

Lucky you. I have looked into using mutt, as I tend to be a CLI
junkie, but I found that would need to do a lot of customization
before I would enjoy using it. I would need to do much of the
customization all at once, before I started using it, and to really
make it worthwhile I also need to use it with imap, which means
my own mail server. Google now does imap, but I want my own
mail server for other reasons.

In my opinion, Mutt is quite a bit harder to start using than vim.
I have a longish vimrc, but the defaults worked well enough at
first, so all I had to do was memorize key bindings.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers