Re: [OT?] Replying to posts in debian-user

Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> writes:

> This question has been nagging me every time I reply to some
> post. What is the recommended way to reply to any message?

To reply to the list only, unless the sender wishes otherwise.  See
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct.

> If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
> field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
> this way, will the sender receive two posts?

Assuming he is subscribed, yes.

> I never received multiple
> replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
> doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct
> in assuming this?

No.

> In case I was mistaken, my apologies to everyone who has been spammed
> by multiple mails from me :)
>
> Or should I delete the sender's address from the list? I should
> probably leave the sender's address as it is if they ask to be cc'd
> for not being on the list. What about the other cases?

You should delete the sender's address and reply only to the list.

> I know this question is fairly elementary, but thought I'd better get
> my basics straight instead of continuing to annoy people with my
> ignorance.

There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail.  Mutt and Gnus
are even better, but they are difficult to set up.  If you want to
stick to Thunderbird/Icedove, there is a "ReplyToList" extension at
http://alumnit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=ReplyToListThunderbirdExtension,
but it does not seem to work with Thunderbird/Icedove 2, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=439369.

Cheers,
       Sven