Re: How to check tftp server is running?

On 11/6/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:30:01PM +1100, hce wrote:

> > > looks like you probably did install the wrong package.
> > >
> > > Useful bits:
> > >
> > > dpkg -L tftpd
> >
> > $ dpkg -L tftpd
> > Package `tftpd' does not contain any files (!)
> >

> please provide
>
> dpkg -l tftpd

~$ dpkg -l tftpd
rc  tftpd          0.17-15        Trivial file transfer protocol server

That command seems work.

> and
>
> apt-cache policy tftpd

~$ apt-cache policy tftpd
tftpd:
  Installed: 0.17-15
  Candidate: 0.17-15
  Version table:
 *** 0.17-15 0
        500 ftp://ftp.au.debian.org etch/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That shows it was indeed installed.

> > This is stange and I am confused, how can calling "apt-get install
> > tftpd" get nothing??
>
> Without seeing the actual session where you did this, its hard to say.
>
> > > Indeed, from packages.debian.org and the package description, looks
> > > like tftpd expects to start form inet.d, so you'd have to put the
> > > proper entries in inet.d.conf and will not see the daemon running
> > > unless someone's actually connected.
> >
> > Well, my inetd.conf contains following tftp:
> >
> > tftp  dgram  udp wait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /srv/tftp
> >
> > How to start/stop/restart the intd?
>
> depends on which inetd you have installed.
>
> ls /etc/init.d/ | grep inet

$ ls /etc/init.d/ | grep inet
openbsd-inetd

Is it normal that the Debian is running openbsd-inetd?

> and then /etc/init.d/<results of above> start/stop/restart as
> required.

I'll run /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart when above question is confirmed.

Thank you.

Jim