Re: Programmers Text Editor

* Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> [2007 Nov 05 17:55 -0600]:
> David Brodbeck wrote:
> > Using vi requires you to keep track of the
> > editor's state in your head -- you have to remember whether it's in
> > input mode or command mode.  I've never been able to do that reliably.
>
>     Neither have I.  However I did learn early on in my vim life that ESC in
> insert mode puts you in command mode.  ESC in command mode puts you in
> command mode.  So if you're not sure, just slap escape then you are
> sure.  :))

There is some version of Vi (nvi?) that is installed by default.  A few
years ago I used Vim with Mutt and thought I had a handle on Vi.  nvi
humbled me one day...

BTW, I survived a few months into my first foray into MS-DOS 3.3 with
edlin until someone mercifully gave me a disk with a better editor
(qed?) on it.  By that metric I should be comfortable with ed, but I'm
not going to push my luck.

I really like FTE, but it needs a lot of help to meet its potential.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"