Re: How to check tftp server is running?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:30:01PM +1100, hce wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> > > I've checked in /etc/init.d, there is no tftp, nor tftpd. I did
> > > installed by "apt-get install tftp" and "apt-get install tftpd". Where
> > > are those scripts? Or did I installed wrong tftp packages?
> >
> > looks like you probably did install the wrong package.
> >
> > Useful bits:
> >
> > dpkg -L tftpd
>
> $ dpkg -L tftpd
> Package `tftpd' does not contain any files (!)

please provide

dpkg -l tftpd

and

apt-cache policy tftpd

> This is stange and I am confused, how can calling "apt-get install
> tftpd" get nothing??

Without seeing the actual session where you did this, its hard to say.

> > Indeed, from packages.debian.org and the package description, looks
> > like tftpd expects to start form inet.d, so you'd have to put the
> > proper entries in inet.d.conf and will not see the daemon running
> > unless someone's actually connected.
>
> Well, my inetd.conf contains following tftp:
>
> tftp  dgram  udp wait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /srv/tftp
>
> How to start/stop/restart the intd?

depends on which inetd you have installed.

ls /etc/init.d/ | grep inet

and then /etc/init.d/<results of above> start/stop/restart as
required.