Re: How to check tftp server is running?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:14:05PM +1100, hce wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com> wrote:
> > hce wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just installed tftp and tftpd package by apt-get. But, I could
> > > not see the tftp server running. Actually, I could not figure out
> > > where is the tftp script. In FC6, the tftp script is in xinit.d. In
> > > Debian, there is not xinit.d.
> > >
> > > How can I check whether the tftp server is running or not? And, if
> > > not, which command I can call to run the tftp server?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >

> > I don't think Debian uses xinetd by default.  It puts everything in the
> > inetd.conf file.  You can manually move the entries over to an xinetd file.

probably you should avoid inet.d and just start the service directly.

> Indeed, the tftp is in inetd.conf file.  But, how can I
> run/restart/stop tftp server? Also, how can I check whether the tftp
> server is running or not? I checked ps and grep with in.tftpd, but
> could not find it.

in debian services are started with an init script stored in
/etc/init.d/ and linked to various runlevels in /etc/rc[S123456].d/

to start the service use either

/etc/init.d/<Service name> start

or

invoke-rc.d <Service name> start

to check the status of a service, look at ps -e (grepping as
appropriate) or check

invoke-rc.d <Service name> status

(or /etc/init.d/<Service name>)

personally, i like the /etc/init.d/ route as you get tab completion of
a service name, if you happen to not remember it exactly.

Many services won't actually start unless they are enabled in
/etc/default/<service name>, so if you start a service and it doesn't
seem to work, check there.

hth