Re: How to check tftp server is running?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:37:05PM +1100, hce wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> > in debian services are started with an init script stored in
> > /etc/init.d/ and linked to various runlevels in /etc/rc[S123456].d/
>
> I've checked in /etc/init.d, there is no tftp, nor tftpd. I did
> installed by "apt-get install tftp" and "apt-get install tftpd". Where
> are those scripts? Or did I installed wrong tftp packages?

looks like you probably did install the wrong package.

Useful bits:

dpkg -L tftpd

will show you what files were installed by that package.

to see what a package contains before installing it:

apt-cache show tftpd

will provide the package description and various details such as
dependencies.

Indeed, from packages.debian.org and the package description, looks
like tftpd expects to start form inet.d, so you'd have to put the
proper entries in inet.d.conf and will not see the daemon running
unless someone's actually connected.