Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 21:12 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> As far as the fam vs. gamin problem is concerned,
> aptitude figured out the correct course of action all by itself. It
> proposed to ignore the recommendation of fam by these two packages and
> to leave fam uninstalled, thus keeping gamin intact on your system, for
> both XFCE and Gnome to use. All you had to do was to accept the proposed
> solution.
>
> Running aptitude --without-recommends sidestepped the problem, but now
> you might be missing some Gnome features which are implemented by other
> recommended packages.

I found a few problems on my system (Lenny/testing) after I replaced fam
with gamin:

1)  Menus in OO.org took many seconds to open -- at least 15, perhaps
20.  This was extremely irritating and made OO.org a pain to use.

2)  The GNOME trash applet no longer updated to show when there were
items in the trash.  I could no longer empty the trash from the panel.
Not such a big deal, but I typically have most windows on most desktops
maximized so I don't usually make use of any icons on the desktop.  So I
found it convenient to empty the trash from the panel.

3)  Nautilus was considerably slower to respond to any attempts to open
a new window.  The problem wasn't as severe as the problem with OO.org

Restoring fam and removing gamin put things back to normal.  But the
reason I installed gamin in the first place is that exaile requires it,
so in the end I decided to remove a lot of GNOME and am using Openbox
instead.  OO.org works fine with gamin, as long as you aren't using it
under GNOME.  If you use it under GNOME, it appears you need fam, or
will face some major irritation.  I still use the GNOME panel, mainly
because I love Tomboy and find a few other features of that panel
appealing, but I no longer use the Trash applet nor the trash bin at
all.  I'm no longer using Nautilus, though it is still installed.  I can
get by pretty well with mc and the command line.

So much for Linux "just working."  When they tell you Linux is "about
choice," they often forget to mention that you'll find your choices
restricted by packages and apps that do not play as well together as
they are supposed to.  GNOME is a really nice DE, but I am sick and
tired of my choices being restricted by using it.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions