Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 21:51:37 +0200, andreas DOT ronnquist AT gmail DOT com wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:21:24 +0200
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 04:40:17 +0200, andreas DOT ronnquist AT gmail DOT com wrote:
> > > I'm on an etch box running XFCE, and now I would like to play with Gnome
> > > some (after a long pause from it). Trying to install
> > > gnome-desktop-environment (or other packages pulling in gnome) using
> > > aptitude I run into some unmet dependencies and clashes gamin->fam. Is
> > > there a smooth way around this on an Etch machine?
> >
> > The solution proposed by aptitude seems reasonable to me. libgamin0
> > provides and replaces both libfam0c102 and libfam0, so any feature that
> > relies on FAM libraries should also work with gamin installed.
> > Furthermore, the package description of gamin states that it "has been
> > designed as a drop-in replacement for FAM".
>
> I was a bit worried it would screw up my xfce install, but discovered
> that running aptitude --without-recommends did the trick.

Maybe my previous message was not clear enough (I did not want to make a
stronger statement since you did not post the full list of what aptitude
wanted to do): As far as the fam vs. gamin problem is concerned,
aptitude figured out the correct course of action all by itself. It
proposed to ignore the recommendation of fam by these two packages and
to leave fam uninstalled, thus keeping gamin intact on your system, for
both XFCE and Gnome to use. All you had to do was to accept the proposed
solution.

Running aptitude --without-recommends sidestepped the problem, but now
you might be missing some Gnome features which are implemented by other
recommended packages. You could run aptitude in interactive mode, press
"l" to limit the package view and enter

!~i~Rrecommends:~i

as the criterion. This will limit the display to packages which are not
installed even though they are recommended by packages which are
installed. Then you can go over this list, check the descriptions and
decide if you need any of these recommended packages.

          Florian   |