going from XFCE to Gnome?

Hi!

I'm on an etch box running XFCE, and now I would like to play with Gnome
some (after a long pause from it). Trying to install
gnome-desktop-environment (or other packages pulling in gnome) using
aptitude I run into some unmet dependencies and clashes gamin->fam. Is
there a smooth way around this on an Etch machine?

------------------8<----------------------------------
  gamin: Conflicts: fam but 2.7.0-12 is to be installed.
Resolving dependencies...

Keep the following packages at their current version:
fam [Not Installed]

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
gnome-desktop-environment recommends fam
nautilus recommends fam

/Andreas
andreas.ronnquist@gmail.com