Re: going from XFCE to Gnome?

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 09:12:47PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Running aptitude --without-recommends sidestepped the problem, but now
> you might be missing some Gnome features which are implemented by other
> recommended packages. You could run aptitude in interactive mode, press
> "l" to limit the package view and enter
>
> !~i~Rrecommends:~i
>
> as the criterion. This will limit the display to packages which are not
> installed even though they are recommended by packages which are
> installed. Then you can go over this list, check the descriptions and
> decide if you need any of these recommended packages.

Hhhm, interesting:

~$ aptitude search '!~i~Rrecommends:~i' | wc -l
299

There's no obvious functionality missing, but maybe I should have a look
through that list (though I don't consider myself a regular user).

Anyway, thanks Florian for another lesson of aptitude's power. A copy of
your mail goes to the Good_to_know folder :)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)