Re: Update on: How to wifi with ipw3945 on Dell Vostro ???

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 08:48:39AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 12:14:04PM +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> > I still cannot wifi with my laptop but I can see that the laptop is
> > sending it's DHCP requests to the network, I can see the request being
> > answered by the server but somehow/somewhere the the response gets lost.
> >
> > If I try to make a connection through the NetworkManager I see (using
> > tcpdump) the following traffic.
>
> I don't trust NetworkManager, FWIW.
>
> I've been playing with this a bit and have gotten mine to work
> reliably in the house here connecting to an ad-hoc network. I'm just
> using iwconfig and ifconfig
>
> iwconfig eth2 essid "blah"
> iwconfig eth2 key restricted s:foo
> ifconfig eth2 up

also need (for my ad-hoc config)
iwconfig eth2 mode ad-hoc

one more thing I've learned, at least for my steup: power saving
doesn't work. If I set any of the power-saving modes I get lots of
dropped packets, no web access, and my ssh sessions lockup until I
turn it back off.