Re: [SOLVED] Re: stereo on mp3 playback

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 19:08:37 +0100, andy wrote:

[...]

> Yes, the mp3s did play in stereo before. In any event, I rebooted and while
> the machine was shutting down, I heard a "pop" sound from the left speaker
> and upon reboot all is well.
>
> I don't know what happened, but suspect that it was perhaps a module not

It could have something to do with the manipulation of the mixer levels
by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils during shutdown.

> I appreciate that rebooting is not the most elegant solution, nor even the
> most practical, so this thread will be useful to keep just in case. What
> would I be looking for in the output of
>
> amixer | egrep '^( .*Left|[^ ])'
>
> just so that I can keep this in mind for future reference if there is a
> recurrence?

I wanted to look at this output to check the status of all "Left"
playback channels. You should see something like this:

Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Playback 46 [73%] [-22.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Playback 46 [73%] [-22.50dB] [on]

[ This is only part of what I get on my system. ]

If you see "[off]" or "[0%]" anywhere then it is clear that there is
room for improvement.

          Florian   |