Re: stereo on mp3 playback

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 18:08:10 +0100, andy wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 15:21:50 +0100, andy wrote:

[ snip: problems with stereo playback of mp3 files ]

>> The fact that direct CD playback is in stereo does not necessarily mean
>> that ALSA is correctly configured for stereo playback of sound files.
>> A better test is:
>>
>> speaker-test -t sine -c2
>>
>> This command should produce a (rather boring) sine wave output which
>> switches between left and right channel every few seconds. Does that
>> work?
>>
> Thanks for the idea. Left front does not work - which is the speaker that
> is non-responsive when playing mp3s. I wonder if this is due to the new
> kernel upgrade recently: 2.6.22-2-686

It is possible that a module upgrade introduced a regression. Did the
stereo playback of mp3 files work before, or did you only listen to CD
playback up to now?

In any case, I think you should first check the alsa mixer settings.
Post the output of:

amixer | egrep '^( .*Left|[^ ])'

          Florian   |