Re: stereo on mp3 playback

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 15:21:50 +0100, andy wrote:
Hi

When playing CDs on my Lenny system, I get great stereo. However, whenever playing mp3s - even those that I have ripped myself in stereo, I don't get stereo at all: music only comes out of the right speaker, no matter which application I am using for playback. I am using ALSA and as far as I can tell have the basic arrangement set up properly. I ran alsaconf and selected the correct card, and then alsamixer and adjusted the settings: the CD still plays in stereo, but the mp3 players not.

Can anyone give me a steer in the right direction please?

The fact that direct CD playback is in stereo does not necessarily mean
that ALSA is correctly configured for stereo playback of sound files.
A better test is:

speaker-test -t sine -c2

This command should produce a (rather boring) sine wave output which
switches between left and right channel every few seconds. Does that
work?

Florian

Thanks for the idea. Left front does not work - which is the speaker that is non-responsive when playing mp3s. I wonder if this is due to the new kernel upgrade recently: 2.6.22-2-686