[SOLVED] Re: stereo on mp3 playback

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 18:08:10 +0100, andy wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 15:21:50 +0100, andy wrote:

[ snip: problems with stereo playback of mp3 files ]

The fact that direct CD playback is in stereo does not necessarily mean
that ALSA is correctly configured for stereo playback of sound files. A better test is:

speaker-test -t sine -c2

This command should produce a (rather boring) sine wave output which
switches between left and right channel every few seconds. Does that
work?

Thanks for the idea. Left front does not work - which is the speaker that is non-responsive when playing mp3s. I wonder if this is due to the new kernel upgrade recently: 2.6.22-2-686

It is possible that a module upgrade introduced a regression. Did the
stereo playback of mp3 files work before, or did you only listen to CD
playback up to now?

In any case, I think you should first check the alsa mixer settings.
Post the output of:

amixer | egrep '^( .*Left|[^ ])'
Hi

Yes, the mp3s did play in stereo before. In any event, I rebooted and while the machine was shutting down, I heard a "pop" sound from the left speaker and upon reboot all is well.

I don't know what happened, but suspect that it was perhaps a module not loading properly in the kernel.

I appreciate that rebooting is not the most elegant solution, nor even the most practical, so this thread will be useful to keep just in case. What would I be looking for in the output of

amixer | egrep '^( .*Left|[^ ])'

just so that I can keep this in mind for future reference if there is a recurrence?

Thanks Florian.

Andy