Re: Tool for document management

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 11:51:04AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 11:31 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:31:32 -0400, Douglas A Tutty
> ><dtutty@porchlight.ca> said:
> >
> >>Here's my personal letter template. ...
>
> Thanks, those give me a nice starting point.
>
> LaTeX is really a godsend for geeks like me with poor artistic
> skills.  It gives me a set of nice, safe, acceptable-looking layouts
> so I don't have to worry about fonts and margins.  I no longer long
> for the days when it was acceptable to buzz something out in 12-point
> Elite on a 9-pin dot matrix printer and tear off the tractor feed
> strips. ;)

Guess what.  My only printer is an IBM Personal Computer Graphics
Printer (like the one pictured in the original marketing material for
the origional PC).  Its a 9-pin dot-matrix, tractor fed.  I run latex
and then either get nicely formatted plain-text, or via apsfilter and
gs-gpl, I get nice fonts and everything.

I still have to tear off the feed strip, it takes 17 minutes per page,
and the ribbon-feed is broken so I have to sit and twiddle the ribbon
knob...

:)

Doug.