Re: Tool for document management

* Rob Mahurin <rob@utk.edu> [070926 16:42]:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:39:55AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > Looking at my copy of 'The Not So Short Introduction To LaTeX,' it's
> > not clear to me what document class I'd use [for a letter].
>
> For some reason that book omits the LaTeX "letter" class.

The LaTeX letter class is rather pathetic.  The letters it produces
have wide margins and are suitable only for personal correspondence;
they remind me of the style which was taught in American elementary
schools back in the 1950's.

Kopka and Daly, in "A Guide to LaTeX", third edition, provide a
fully-detailed example of a letterhead class which is suitable for the
correspondence of a business or an organization.

Using as a guide the letterhead class of Kopka and Daly, I created my
own letterhead class which has a header, a footer, two columns, page
numbers, etc.  The header for the second and subsequent pages displays
the name of the recipient and the date of the communication.  The
footer of every page displays my own organization name and address.
The result is a layout which is attractive, professional in
appearance, and stands out from the crowd.

RLH