Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:45:39PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>> From stable, but a little old.
>> From what you're saying I think she is running oldstable (sarge) and not
>> stable (etch). It could make a big difference as etch has kernel 2.6.18 as
>> opposed to 2.6.8 (or the default 2.4).
>
> From stable as of Sep 2005.

Okay, I think a lot of your problems would be alleviated by an upgrade
to etch. Again, this is all predicated on the idea that she will give
you a little more time to do this stuff.

head over to www.debian.org and read up (at least browse through) the
upgrade notes for
etch. http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/

especially review:
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

and then edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that all references to 'sarge'
are replaced with either 'etch' or 'stable'. (note, if they already
read 'stable', then just review the release notes and proceed with the
below).

do a full upgrade:

aptitude (or apt-get) update
aptitude dist-upgrade

there are some stuff on the release notes that you need to pay
attention to and some things need to be done in a particular order, so
the above is really only the last step.

It will take a while, but when done, she'll be running 'etch' and
probably many of the problems will simply go away. Certainly a lot of
the printer issues will be resolved and the others may as well.

hth.

ps. of course, back up etc.