Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:33:43PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
My GF installed a USB mouse, and her keyboard went away.
They work together with THE OTHER OS. IIRC (it's been
a while) using a debug startup allows us to get up to
a root login, and look around, but using ^D from there
makes the keyboard go away. I can't tell if this is
an X Window problem, or below that, or what. The current
work around is to use an old PS/2 style mouse. The symptoms
are just as if the keyboard were unplugged. There is no
response whatsoever.

Is this mouse plugged into the same troubling hub?

Well, it's not plugge in at all, at the moment :-)

At the time we encountered the issue, the hub had
not yet been purchased. So, no the "troubling hub"
is not the problem.

[snip]

Do you have enough USB ports on the rear of the box?  What about a few
USB straight extension cords instead of HUBs.

Yes, that might work. She has two ports on the machine.
One is free. I did suggest that to her. She just wants
it to work.

She can't associate multiple queues with a single printer,
but there is already another thread about that. There is
currently no work around, but there is hope that using the
CUPS I/F directly may work.

I've never tried CUPS.  Partly because of all the troubles people seem
to have.  I've always had great luck with LPRng and apsfilter or LPRng
and foomatic-printfilters (set up with foomatic-GUI if you like).  The
first option is easier if apsfilter had the driver for your printer.
The second lets you use a cups printer ppd.  LPRng does great with
multiple queues.

I've never had a problem with CUPS on my machine, nor with the
GNOME I/F to it. On her Debian machine, I've had problems with
the GNOME I/F to CUPS.

[snip]

See your other answers re kernel options.

Is she running Etch up-to-date?  What CPU does this box have?

This is a dual Celeron MB with one Celeron installed, 1.7 or so
Gig clock.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.