Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:33:43PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> My GF installed a USB mouse, and her keyboard went away.
> They work together with THE OTHER OS. IIRC (it's been
> a while) using a debug startup allows us to get up to
> a root login, and look around, but using ^D from there
> makes the keyboard go away. I can't tell if this is
> an X Window problem, or below that, or what. The current
> work around is to use an old PS/2 style mouse. The symptoms
> are just as if the keyboard were unplugged. There is no
> response whatsoever.

Is this mouse plugged into the same troubling hub?

> My GF also can't mount a memory stick using a Dazzle
> USB I/F through a hub. A regular disc (Western Digital)
> mounts and runs fine on the same hub. When the Dazzle
> is plugged directly into the USB port on the machine,
> it can be mounted. This is extremely inconvenient, as
> all the USB ports on this machine are in the back,
> and it is inside an armoir. The workaround is to pull
> the machine out of the armoir, and leave it hanging
> out, and plug the Dazzle into the USB. This is something
> I have to do, as she is mobility impaired (paraplegic).
> Since I live several miles away, this is quite inconvenient.
> Another work around is to use the same hub and Dazzle
> I/F with Windows on a laptop, then e-mail herself using a dial-
> up connection, to an account she can read with Debian. This
> is slow, clumsy, and inconvenient as well.

Do you have enough USB ports on the rear of the box?  What about a few
USB straight extension cords instead of HUBs.

> She can't associate multiple queues with a single printer,
> but there is already another thread about that. There is
> currently no work around, but there is hope that using the
> CUPS I/F directly may work.

I've never tried CUPS.  Partly because of all the troubles people seem
to have.  I've always had great luck with LPRng and apsfilter or LPRng
and foomatic-printfilters (set up with foomatic-GUI if you like).  The
first option is easier if apsfilter had the driver for your printer.
The second lets you use a cups printer ppd.  LPRng does great with
multiple queues.

> So far, she's unable to get her printer to full functionality.
> I kludged up a printer description which sorta works, but
> not fully. It's an HP, but I don't at present recall the
> exact model number. It is a combined Printer/FAX/Scanner.
> So far, it just prints either in greyscale or color, depending
> on how we've edited queue at the moment. We can't select different
> print quality, color/greyscale, or any other options except by
> editing the one queue associated with it.

Using LPRng with multiple queues, one queue for each feature.

> It is also supposed to be able to read and print camera memory sticks,
> but that only works in stand-alone mode, with no way to get the info
> from the printer to the computer. Supposedly, this works with THE
> OTHER OS, though that is unverified. Anyway, at present it's running
> with my kludgy edit of another printer description file, not one from
> Debian, and just as a simple printer, it can't even do a realign. None
> of the other functions are currently usable.
>

> Another issue which has never been posted: She installed more
> memory. She had 512 MB RAM, and now has 1.5 Gig. Unfortunately,
> Debian seems only to recognize just under 1.0 Gig. I haven't
> looked on the web for a fix for that, so I haven't posted
> here. Part of the reason I haven't gone searching for a
> solution, is that her reaction to that was to purchase a copy
> of Windows XP.

See your other answers re kernel options.

Is she running Etch up-to-date?  What CPU does this box have?

Doug.