Re: Debian may lose a user

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:17:05PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> writes:

<snip>
> I believe that is what the poster above was saying, and most likely you
> understood him as being defensive or confrontational.  I really don't
> think the people here are trying to be in any way argumentative, but
> rather are asking for more info, even if you aren't going to be here to
> hear the answers.  It is just a natural desire to see what mistakes were
> made, specifically, so that they are not made again.  I personally think
> it is a wonderful sentiment to fill people in on a failure, but if
> nobody can know how they failed, then really what good is the
> information?
>
> At least that is how I would percieve this situation.

I dont'think anyone here did anything wrong and I dont think he was
implying that. There are many thing that a list like this can do like
respond to users request for help and provide insights, answers or
alternatives. But maybe this problems the person had have no current
answer at all or the one person who knew the answer missed the post. One
thing that many people want is an answer in a limited amount of time,
this list is not suited to a demanding user who perhaps will lose a
client or money as a result, that is the domain of paid support. If the
issue can be worked around or tolerated for a few months, then this list
is fine. Like many DD, we too must balance our lives and trying to fix
ever users issue would drive folks to drink, so there has to be an
expectation that we list readers will miss stuff. This is no ones fault.
Cheers,
Kev
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|