Re: Is it possible to keep a program running even when when no users are logged in

El mar, 25-09-2007 a las 22:57 -0400, Guillermo Garron escribió:
> On 9/25/07, Sid Arth <sidster802@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to have rtorrent running in the background once I turn it on
> > via ssh. Is there a way to keep rtorrent running even after I close
> > the session?
>
> I like to use ctorrent,
>
> http://www.go2linux.org/Command-line-Bit-Torrent-client-for-Linux-written-in-c-
>
> and a way to keep it running (works with all other software) is to
> append a "&" (no qoutes) at the end of the command, so it should be
> this way.
>
> $command -options &

I don't think that would work. That way the command 'command' will run
as son of your shell session. When you close your session it will
probably die (maybe not, depends on how the software works).
That's why you need nohup or screen.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice."