Re: Debian may lose a user

Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> John Hasler wrote:
>>
>> I don't see that you provided any useful information.
>
> Then it wasn't directed at you.
>
> There are those here who have expressed a desire for Linux
> to be a viable alternative to Windows for more users. It was
> directed at those people.

After walking in from a day of my kids' soccer matches I noticed this
thread and feel I really must post a comment.  I may be very late to
this, and if so I apologize, but it just seems to me that there is
likely a miscommunication going on here.  I can't help but think that
most people on this list would actually very much welcome the criticism
which seems to be on offer regarding this situation, but surely
everybody would also like to know what they did wrong, so to speak.  I
for one get at least a hundred or two messages on this list per day,
probably more, and certainly wouldn't know from the above references
which posts or questions were those being talked about here.  Really,
with everything being discussed here how could everybody notice and
remember every thread?

I also think everyone here has a desire for Linux to be a viable
alternative to Windows (I happen to believe it already is one since I in
fact use it instead of that OS) and so would certainly assume your
comments were directed at them.  The people on this list are here quite
obviously because they believe in what is done here, and that seems to
most often be offer help to others.  But, honestly, regardless of how
well-intentioned the posts, just how can anyone improve with such
esoteric comments?

I believe that is what the poster above was saying, and most likely you
understood him as being defensive or confrontational.  I really don't
think the people here are trying to be in any way argumentative, but
rather are asking for more info, even if you aren't going to be here to
hear the answers.  It is just a natural desire to see what mistakes were
made, specifically, so that they are not made again.  I personally think
it is a wonderful sentiment to fill people in on a failure, but if
nobody can know how they failed, then really what good is the
information?

At least that is how I would percieve this situation.

Patrick