Re: Penalty of SELinux?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:54:34 -0500, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:21:16 -0500, Mike McCarty
>> <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> said:

>>> Something like 50 or so. ls, mv, cp, etc.
>>
>> Source packages.  All those are from coreutils, no?

> I believe so. My response was in regards to "very few". I suppose that
> is a subjective response. "50 or so" is not subjective.

        My response suggests that 50 or so is inaccurate, if you count
 source packages. It is fewer than that.  Compared to 10k source
 packages, however, even the bloated figure of 50  is "few". BTW, I
 count 29 packages.
libselinux1 Reverse Depends:
  coreutils cron dbus dmraid dmsetup fcron gdm gnome-user-share
  libblkid1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libgnomevfs2-0 libnss-db libpam-modules
  librpm4.4 logrotate loop-aes-utils lvm2 mount nautilus openssh-server
  passwd policycoreutils prelink rpm sysvinit sysvinit-utils udev
  util-linux xdm

>> Right. But a few hundred KB in memory is a smallish penalty, and

> More subjectivity :-)

        All opinions are subjective.

>> even 708 old hardware seems to be running it fine for me.

> My objection is to having on my machine at all.

        Feel free to create your own apt sources are where you
 specifically override the defaults you do not like. This is the only
 recourse for those of us who do not like some aspect of the
 distribution, and care enough to take the effort to fork out own
 packages (I do my own kernel, uml, emacs. gnus, et. al packages)

        manoj
--
Bacchus: A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.