Re: SELinux Suggestion

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:45:18 +1000, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> said:

> Why not make a different section on the normal stable / testing /
> unstable streams.  so non-free contrib and selinux place all the
> selinux patch stuff under there ?

        Firstly, contrib and non-free are not part of Debian; and they
 are there because of non-free licensing issues. SELinuxis free.

        Secondly, adding a section is a lot of work, and has a lot of
 administrative overhead. People doing the work would have to be
 convinced that this is worth doing.  I, for one, remain unconvinced and
 unwilling to spend my spare time doing that.

        Debian does not create a separate section for Gnome. or KDE. Or
 X versus unbloated text mode. Server vs user.  Of Emacs vs vim. Or Perl
 vs python. I could go on about gazillions of variations, where each one
 of these pairings is only useful to a subset of the user base.

        Frankly, unless there is some concrete indication that the
 current SELinux integration is creating problems or perceptible
 (benchmarked) performance hits, I am not sure there is any basis for
 asking all this extra work to be done.

        manoj
--
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Aleister Crowley