Re: baffling ssh problem

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 10:30:03AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:33:14AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > >
> > >Not on my boxen Douglas.  It ends on line 579.  I just read the man
> > >page, again, and still don't see it. I'm only half way through my
> > >first cup of coffe so I will go back and read it again after cup 3-4.
> > >It must be in the AUTHENTICATION section.
> >
> > man formats things to your particular page size on-screen in most
> > setups, so referring to things in man pages by page number, is almost
> > universally -- worthless.
>
> Then perhaps Debian's man system should report something more useful
> than line number.  OBSD gives a percentage.

man uses /usr/bin/pager -s which points to /etc/alternatives/pager. I
was not abnle to determine exactly how to configure what options may
be invoked. It appears that, at least here, less is used and somehow
knows to display things differently for a manpage. that makes it a bit
frustrating to figure out, but I'm sure there is a way to make man
behave the way you suggest. It may involve creating your own set of
options to pass to /usr/bin/pager and setting it in

/etc/manpath.config

hth