Re: baffling ssh problem

On Sep 18, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
If anyone has an idea as to what is going on, I would appreciate a
kick in the right direction.

Check auth.log on the box you're having problems logging into. Often there are clues there. See if sshd logs something it's unhappy about when you try to log in.

Nine times out of ten when passwordless login doesn't work for me, it's a permissions issue. Sshd is very picky about permissions on files in the .ssh directory. In particular, .ssh/authorized_keys should be read/write *only* by the owner. sshd will refuse to use the file if it's writable by group, even if you're using individual groups for each user. I think it may refuse if it's readable by anyone but the owner, too, so I usually "chmod 600" that file. And of course .ssh and everything in it needs to be owned by the user that's trying to log in.