Re: baffling ssh problem

Andrew Sackville-West(andrew@farwestbilliards.com) is reported to have said:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:54:57PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:

> > > Just for completeness, you didn't need a google search.  The info is
> > > somewhere around line 721 in the ssh(1) man page. :))
> >
> > Not on my boxen Douglas.  It ends on line 579.  I just read the man
> > page, again, and still don't see it. I'm only half way through my
> > first cup of coffe so I will go back and read it again after cup 3-4.
> > It must be in the AUTHENTICATION section.

Modification to the above.  The page # shown by my PAGER (less Ver 406-0)
depends on the Terminal setting.  The above mentioned line # (579) was
on a 20" Widescreen LCD monitor. So Douglas is using a different
Terminal setting than I am, _not_ a different version of ssh.  I am
starting to wake up now.  ;-)

> > Another question popped into my head while trying to go to sleep last
> > night.
> >
> > Being that the 775 permission on the server home directory was the
> > problem, why was it only the AMD box that didn't work.  All 6 linux
> > boxes are running uptodate testing.  That was why I concentrated on
> > the AMD box as being the problem, and not the server.  ;-(
>
> is there some difference in the code between amd(64right?) and i386?
> IIRC, ssh-copy-id is _supposed_ to fix-up permissions for you as part
> of its process. Sounds like it warrants a little attempt at recreating
> the problem and trying to track down the source of it for an
> appropriate bug report.

I agree Andrew.  Other then reading the mail today I am going to be
looking into the problem, as it was, to see if I can figure out
exactly, why the problem occured and what package the bug report
should be filed against.

Thanks
Wayne

--
Why do we want intelligent terminals when there are so many stupid
users?