Re: Sex spam again on the list

On Tue, September 18, 2007 04:39, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Adam Hardy wrote:
>
>> A few days back I asked whether anyone had heard of a spam IP blacklist
>> filter maintained by a community of spam 'reporters' who submit spam
>> emails to the server. Each reporter has their own 'effectiveness rating'
>> and once enough 'effective people' report the spam, the email was
>> scanned
>> for the advertising website IP and this went into the filter applied to
>> all incoming mail.
>>
>> Admittedly it wouldn't catch image spam advertising hot stocks, but it
>> would certainly take out the others and seems to me to be a better bet
>> than dynamic filters.
>>
>> I think something like this exists already but I haven't been able to
>> find
>> it on the net. I did find a few other commercial spam filters who now
>> spam
>> me with their advertising!
>
> Such a system is implemented by spamcop (www.spamcop.net). Their block
> list,
> known as SCBL (spamcop blocklist) gives you a list of IP addresses which
> are spewing spam on the internet. You can then use it for
> blocking/filtering your email by comparing the originating IP address of
> the received email against the SCBL. The SCBL is completely automatic in
> the sense that the IP addresses are removed/added depending on whether
> that
> machine is not sending/sending spam. SCBL is available for free for
> general
> public.

Spamcop is known for it's relative high rate of false positives. That's
not bad in itself but renders it useless for simply blocking mail. You'd
normally use it for scoring like spamassassin does and then it becomes
fairly successful.

For directly blocking mail however, you'd be better of using the
zen.spamhaus.org combined blocklist wich is very effective and has almost
no false positives. I don't know how they do it, but it catches 90% of my
spam on it's own. More info can be found on http://www.spamhaus.org

--
Groet,

Peter Teunissen