Re: Sex spam again on the list

Adam Hardy wrote:

> A few days back I asked whether anyone had heard of a spam IP blacklist
> filter maintained by a community of spam 'reporters' who submit spam
> emails to the server. Each reporter has their own 'effectiveness rating'
> and once enough 'effective people' report the spam, the email was scanned
> for the advertising website IP and this went into the filter applied to
> all incoming mail.
>
> Admittedly it wouldn't catch image spam advertising hot stocks, but it
> would certainly take out the others and seems to me to be a better bet
> than dynamic filters.
>
> I think something like this exists already but I haven't been able to find
> it on the net. I did find a few other commercial spam filters who now spam
> me with their advertising!

Such a system is implemented by spamcop (www.spamcop.net). Their block list,
known as SCBL (spamcop blocklist) gives you a list of IP addresses which
are spewing spam on the internet. You can then use it for
blocking/filtering your email by comparing the originating IP address of
the received email against the SCBL. The SCBL is completely automatic in
the sense that the IP addresses are removed/added depending on whether that
machine is not sending/sending spam. SCBL is available for free for general
public.

hth
raju

--