Re: text consoles 8-12 and german umlauts

Mumia, thanks a lot for taking your time.

"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:

> On 09/08/2007 10:49 AM, Robert Epprecht wrote:
>> "Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>>> I don't know exactly the function of APP_CHARSET_MAP in
>>> /etc/console-tools/config, but you could try setting it for the
>>> VC's in questions, e.g.
>>>
>>> APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc8=iso05

>>> Iso05 may be wrong for your system. Use what you think is most appropriate.
>>
>> Where can I find out what other possibilities I have, and what they mean?
>
> dpkg -L console-tools | grep man

That's quite a lot to study, and not so easy to understand.
I'm not through yet...

>> What could be appropriate on ordinary PC hardware for english and
>> german? How could I find out what consoles 1-6 use (which seems
>> right)?
>>
> Try iso01 through iso06.

Noone of them gave me german umlauts on consoles 8 through 12 (like I
do have them on console 1 through 6).

>> BTW: I have no idea which program uses /etc/console-tools/config and
>> where it is called in the boot process and under which name.

> It looks like it's /etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh.

Yes I had seen this one, but I thought it would only be called in
single user mode. There is no such link in the other /etc/rcS.n
directories. Probably I do not understand that right.

> It might also be a good idea to do "dpkg-reconfigure locales"; that
> might set up your consoles for your default locale.

Tried that, no change.

> How do you attempt to enter German umlauts? How would you enter "ö" at
> the console?

I press the key right of 'l' which gives me 'ö' on consoles 1 through 6
but garbage on 8-12.

Robert Epprecht