Re: text consoles 8-12 and german umlauts

"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:

> I don't know exactly the function of APP_CHARSET_MAP in
> /etc/console-tools/config, but you could try setting it for the VC's
> in questions, e.g.
>
> APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc8=iso05
> APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc9=iso05

This *does* has an effect: if I press german umlauts then different garbage
is displayed than without ;-)

> Iso05 may be wrong for your system. Use what you think is most appropriate.

Where can I find out what other possibilities I have, and what they mean?
What could be appropriate on ordinary PC hardware for english and german?
How could I find out what consoles 1-6 use (which seems right)?

BTW: I have no idea which program uses /etc/console-tools/config and where
it is called in the boot process and under which name.

Thanks for insights,
Robert Epprecht