Re: Where and how do I install a TTF font?

Nelson A. de Oliveira:
> Mumia W..:
> > See if you can get the barcode font embedded in the PDF file.
>
> The PDF is generated by a third part online system that we use here.
> We don't have control over the PDF.
> We want to change all machines running Windows to Linux, but the only
> missing thing is this barcode font on the PDFs. Windows displays them
> correctly while we couldn't make it works on Linux :-/

I work at a printshop where I have tools to take a closer look at the
pdf. It appears that *none* of the fonts are included or embedded.
These are: Times New Roman, Times New Roman Bold, Arial, Arial Bold,
Arial Bold Italic, Bar25if.  So none of these fonts are guaranteed to
look like the original on your screen.
Moreover, Bar25if could not be embedded due to "licensing limitations".

This means that the pdf is simply a bad one, and not acceptable!  All
fonts should be included, so the pdf will display well on a system where
these fonts are not installed.  That is precisely the purpose of a pdf.

What I could do is to turn all characters into outlines ('vectorize'
the characters) so no fonts are needed, and make a new pdf out of this.
It's a big one: 4.3 MB, but if you can use it, get it with this command:

    wget http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/giap.pdf

I suppose you could also do this with programs like pdfedit and
inkscape.