Re: how to provide extra library paths?

Ok, getting back to this library path issue:

Here is Michael's response and my current reply:

On 8/29/07, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should probably send replies to the list, so that other people can
> see if/how responses helped.

Yes I should, thanks. Its just the bad habit of using pine and then switching back to gmail's UI :(

> On 8/29/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am not quite sure about that because I have a lot of other variables
> > and things in .bash_profile which is available from konsole or xterm.
> > For example, my PATH is being set in
> > .bash_profile which ofcourse is available from konsole or xterm. And
> > .bashrc is being sourced inside .bash_profile.
>
> Are you sourcing any other files in either your .bash_profile or
> .bashrc?

No I am not sourcing any other file... I can provide the two files here if necessary..

> There might be a "helpful" system-wide file that's clearing
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH for you.  Try putting the following at the top of your
> .bashrc:
>
> set -x
>
> That should tell you what's being done where.

Ok, I did that. The outcome is the following:
  When I login remotely (thru ssh) or on a VT, I see the variables from both .bashrc and .bash_profile, as expected I suppose.
  But when I login to KDE locally, and start a konsole or xterm, only the .bashrc variables are printed out. This again I suppose as is expected that any new shell (either in konsole or xterm) is probably a non-login interactive shell.

The funny part is though only .bashrc seems to be sourced when I start a konsole (or xterm) I do have the variables from .bash_profile available, except LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> > > Is there a reason that you don't want to set this in .bashrc?
> > Not really! I am living that way right now. But ideally, a library
> > path need be defined once, shouldn't it?
>
> True enough.

Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH the only way to provide extra library paths?

--
Regards
PK